“You don’t have to burn books to destroy a culture, just get people to stop reading them.” -Ray Bradbury
READICIDE noun, the systematic killing of the love of reading, often exacerbated by the inane, mind-numbing practices found in schools (Galligher, 2009)
Reasons for Readicide:
- A Curriculum Steeped in Multiple-Choice Test Preparation Drives Shallow Teaching and Learning
- Rather Than Lift Up Struggling Readers, an Emphasis on Multiple-Choice Test Preparation Ensures That Struggling Readers Will Continue to Struggle. Test Preparation Plays a Large Part in Maintaining “Apartheid Schools.”
Fight against Readicide with…
READING FOR PLEASURE
- Student Input in Reading Selections
- Allow Time
- Set aside a Place
- Provide Resources
- Give Access
- Allocation of Funds
- Modeling by teachers- everyone reads!
- Media Center Access
- Conversations About What Students Read
- ISE Days
- Beyond School Day
Shift the attitude by having everyone READ for pleasure everyday schoolwide!
Ask students, teachers, & principals:
- What book are you reading right now?
- What is your favorite type of book?
- Who is your favorite author?
- What would you like to read next?
All of us are in this war together! Model a love for reading daily!